The Reasons it Happens
- Toddlers are not yet able to grasp that there are other people and activities that sometimes require your attention or capture your interest.
- A toddlers short term memory is not yet fully developed. This leaves them with the urgency to speak now before they forget.
- By the time your child is 3 or 4, she'll begin to understand what an interruption is and what the request "Please don't interrupt" means, and her short-term memory will develop enough that she'll be able to hold on to a thought (for a couple of minutes, anyway).
- Don't cut your spouse or other people off when they are talking.
- Don't interrupt your child when she is talking to you. If you do cut her off when she is talking, apologize for doing so.